What is the Normal Screen Resolution for a Laptop?
In every display panel, a series of tiny dots called pixels are arranged in a vertical and horizontal direction. The function of these tiny dots is to give detail on the display. Now the logic has been set, you must be aware of the variations in the combination of their numbers on many laptop screens.
The number of pixels actually determines the quality of the image on the screen. The more pixels it has the more detail the image will have on the screen. The advancement in technology has put the manufacturing companies of screens to add more pixels in their display. In this article, our editors have explained in detail about normal screen resolution for a laptop.
Without going any deeper in the past, the general screen resolution category starts from 720×420 (DVD) resolution through 1280×720 (720p) to the FHD 1920×1080 (1080p) and latest ultra HD 3840×2160 (4k) pixels display.
However, in this review, we hope to provide a snapshot of what the normal screen resolution for a laptop is. We will also explain what are the different screen resolutions offered in the laptops, their pros, and cons and finally what is the normal screen resolution that fits your laptop.
What is the Normal Screen Resolution for a Laptop?
In these lines, we have tried to generalize the different screen resolutions that are offered in various models. Now you will get the idea which screen is best when you go to buy a laptop. You will be no longer technological illiterate.
So the next time you go to the market you will have the sense to choose which one is the best for you.
Laptop Screen Resolution 1366×768 (DVD)
A very significant number of laptops come with low-resolution 1366×768 screens. It shows far fewer contents than the higher resolution displays. It is a very low resolution; even you will see the pixels visible on the screen. It is quite low for multitasking for watching movies and playing games.
On 15.6” screen, it makes a low-quality display. It is suitable for you only in the case that you are elderly. The people with low vision like above the age of 60. Now the deal is if you are finding a laptop for grandfather or mother or the people with the similar age group, then you can choose the display with this resolution.
It will make the image distracting even when you are watching the video. It will show black borders between the pixels. If you are the one with age lower than 60 and have no vision problem then get away. This deal going to give you disappointment and you will laminate yourself in a bad manner.
There are companies which manufacture the laptop with 1366×768 @ 15.6 screens. The reason for that along with many others is the one I have described above. Today manufacturers are keeping the latest technology in mind and do not manufactures laptop with this resolution.
Windows operating systems such as Window 10 also demand high graphics and many laptop models lacks the display with such resolution. Hence you will find such display in older models and very less in the latest models. But the point to make here is that you must be acknowledged about its disadvantages.
Today a very low-cost display with LED comes with 1366×768 resolutions. Otherwise, it is not standard display for HD.
PROS AND CONS: (1366X768) Resolution
- It is low-cost, non HD (LED) display and might be a good choice for elderly people.
- Because they are cost-effective so you can use them as storage or for important documents.
- If you are the one uses laptop quite less than they are the good option.
- You can also use the laptop with this resolution for working purposes which had less to do with resolution.
- Because of the fewer numbers of pixels, display with such resolution is not ideal for gaming.
- You will get less detail and poor quality image and video.
- This display does not support HD quality video format.
- Many latest applications do not open and if opened do not perform well.
Normal Screen Resolution 1280×720 (720p)
1280×720 is commonly known as HD or HD ready display. It was the first time when it introduced as the part of the display known as HDTV. It was the first step and transition from non-HD display to the HDTV display. In the times when HDTV becomes the pronounced norm, manufacturers had developed a short term 720p.
One of the most common numbers you will see 720p, 1080p, etc. A laptop with 1280×720 resolution good picture quality, though today it is not too much viable. The advancement in technology and resolution greater than 720p necessities the more pixels in a laptop.
The operating system such as Windows 10 Mac etc also requires high pixels display. So today with the emergence of greater resolution power in the laptops, I think 720p resolution screen is not the right choice. You can always enhance the screen resolution of your old laptop look cool.
Laptops with 1280×720 pixels do not provide full detail of the image. Although it is too far away better than non-HD display, yet it is equally distant in quality from higher resolution. A person with normal vision does not get as much detail of the content as in the higher resolution displays. This is ideal for live streaming laptops.
The intensity of color and definition of text is could not be as pronounced as 1080p resolution. The slightly rough and smudgy appearance still can be seen on the display when you are watching movies. While playing games the graphics would not be as striking as with other gaming display.
PROSS AND CONS: (1280×720) Resolution
- A laptop with 1280×720 pixels is not so much expensive, so you can avail good quality display in this category.
- It is good for working with tasks such as engineering tools, web designer, etc.
- It is best because it is recommended for many operating systems including the latest Microsoft. So this might be the plus point for this.
- It is a progressive screen which means you will perceive the picture with full 2.07 million pixels.
- It is the standard HD resolution so it supports many features and runs with great efficiency.
- It benefits over 1080i 60 and 480i. the benefit it provides is that it reduces artifact.
- Although screen with 720p is standard yet offers low quality, at least in games.
- Many applications do not fit perfectly on this resolution so it is one of the disadvantages you may have in your laptop.
- It usually runs at least 30fps (frame per second) which means slow motion. However, this can be overcome it can also run at 60fps.
Laptop Screen Resolution 1920×1080 (1080p)
The change is everything and it is necessary for time. New things always come with better and advanced features. A similar case is applied when you will see the different resolutions of the screen available in the market. You must be aware of the different screen sizes of laptops.
There are some generalizations you must be aware of carefully. In the 1080p resolution in a laptop means 1920 pixels are displayed on the screen in a horizontal direction and 720 pixels are arranged in a vertical direction.
The word `p` in the 1080p stands for progressive scan and not to be confused with the pixels. So the laptop with 1920×720 resolutions will be non-intercalated. In order to contrast with 720p, it is referred to as full HD or simply FHD.
When compared with 1366×768 resolution power screens, 1920×1080 display shows about 10 additional lines of text especially as a webpage or in documents.
PROSS AND CONS: (1920×1080) Resolution
- This is the most popular resolution, especially for gamers. So if you have a gaming passion, you should go to select the laptop with this resolution.
- Because the number of pixels is more than the lower resolution you will have a brighter and clear image on display with this resolution.
- The video quality will be awesome on the screen. You will get the best motion pictures experience.
- Though the display with this resolution is much better than lower resolution, yet the higher resolution to the 4k is better than 1080p.
- With the advancement of resolution in laptops for 4K panels, the quality of the panel with 1080p will certainly be not comparable.
Higher resolution than 1920x 1080
As the competition is mounting among the laptop manufacturer, the things are getting more advanced. Now you have been familiar with the common resolution display, but if you want more quality display then hold on and see the better with multiple combinations.
The following are the combinations of resolution that are mostly offered in the laptops.
2304×1440: Retina display and it is used only by Apple.
2560×1440: Also known as 2K or QHD.
2560×1600: Retina exclusively used by Apple.
3000×2000: Also known as pixel sense is used in MS laptops.
3200×1800: Also known as 3K or QHD +.
Resolution 3840×2160(4K or UltraHD)
This is the latest and yet last available pixel resolution in the market. A less number of laptops are available in this resolution. But you could not imagine how great it is. It offers a wonderful detail of everything once displayed on your screen. Designed exclusively for ultra HD video format and games.
PROSS AND CONS (3840×2160) Screen Resolution
- You can’t imagine how brighter and how clear your image will be on this screen. It provides full detail.
- You will have the opportunity to watch everything in ultra HD, Now enjoy the things with more curiosity.
- It offers great mobility in videos that you have not observed before.
- The only disadvantage you can say to have with the display in ultra HD 4k panel would be its price. It is the latest available resolution and there is no higher resolution so it is costly indeed.
Ideal screen resolution for a laptop
Now you have a better sense about all the resolution combinations that are offered on the screen. But the most important question that is needed to be answered is: what is the ideal resolution for the laptop?
Now straightforwardly resolutions under 720p and included that are not of much concern in the latest technological advancement. Also with the resolution such as 4 K available on the screen they are not the good choice for your laptop.
So in our opinion the best resolution a laptop must have is 1080p. It is not so low not too much. You can enjoy better image quality and great video motions on your side. You can also play games with excellent quality. So in my opinion 1080p is the best and normal resolution for a laptop for a better experience.
Team – Whatlaptops.com