How Much Storage Do I Need On My Laptop? by What Laptops
Today I am going to discuss one of the most common questions that people ask while buying a laptop and that, “How Much Storage Do I Need On My Laptop?” As I am a working woman and working for a team of marketing professionals. My son is going to be 15 next week and also going to pass out his high school soon. He needs a laptop as his level of education is going to be elevated and also it’s his birthday.
I have decided to gift him a laptop on his birthday but now I am confused what should be the size of a hard drive for his laptop. I have done a little market survey myself and on the internet also to check what’s in and what’s out in the field of laptops. And I am going to share some of my experience with you. Hope they are helpful for you as they are helpful for me.
- 1 How Much Storage Do I Need On My Laptop?
- 2 Types of hard drives:
- 3 Maintenance of Hard Disk Drives for Laptops
- 4 How Much Storage Do I Need On My Laptop? Answer by What Laptops Professionals
How Much Storage Do I Need On My Laptop?
Before going into the details of today’s topic, let me first clear few basic terms here. Whenever you plan to buy a laptop, the first things that come to everyone’s mind is about the hard drive. Almost everyone asks, How Much Storage Do I Need On My Laptop?
Let me start by explaining a few basic questions about the hard drive:
What is a hard drive?
A magnetic storage disk on which you can store computer data. The term hard is used to differentiate it from a soft, or floppy, disk. Now thanks to the latest technology thee Hard disks are capable of holding more data then compared to floppy disks. Floppy disks are now a thing of the past, previously they were used to transfer data for laptops and desktops.
What Size Hard Drive Do I Need for My Laptop?
The size of hard does not affect the speed of the internet but it affects the speed of data processing. It is considered as an information bottleneck and the fast processing of data require a hard of larger size. You can store a bundle of data on a larger hard drive and thus it enhances the storage capacity of your laptop.
The hard drive doesn’t affect how fast a processor is working. However, the hard drive is one of the slowest parts of the laptop and actually makes the processor wait for more information. Now, remember it is not the size of the hard drive that matters but for me its the data transfer speed and storage capacity.
The hard drive can be used to hold temporary data also known as virtual memory that acts as an extension of the computer’s main memory, the RAM. A larger hard drive can support a larger virtual memory. In order to explain the questions, “What Size Hard Drive Do I Need for my Laptop?”, let me go intro further details here. Below I will explain different available sizes of hard drives for laptops.
Sizes of a hard drive for laptops:
Hard drives are available in many sizes but you should opt out for the size which is according to your need and your nature of work and also compatible with your laptops.
Some sizes of hard drives are as follow:
The hard drive is basically available in two physical sizes which are:
We are mostly concerned with 2.3 inches drive as laptops hard drives come in this size the other one used mostly for desktop computers.
Storage capacity wise the hard drives are available in sizes from 160GB to 2TB.
A hard drive’s size has a minor role to do with its performance unless the drive is almost full. The Windows NTFS File System requires a minimum of 10% of the hard drive to be free space for optimum performance, and it frequently demands as much as 15%. This means that, on a 40 GB drive, Windows prefers that you use a maximum of 34-36 GB, sparing 4-6 GB of space unapplied to tasks. So for a small laptop that you plan to use for routine work, buying a 160 GB hard drive is enough.
Specifications of hard drives for laptops:
Hard drives are available in the market with a vast number of specifications. Some of those specifications are as follow:
- Storage capacity: Hard disk drives come in all sizes, capping out at 16TB per drive due to physical limitations. You can our data according to your need and working requirements.
- Transfer speeds: The performance of a consumer-level Hard disk drive is determined by many factors, but revolutions per minute (RPMs) is an important one. If you are receiving better RPMx that shows the data transfer is at a faster and better rate.
- Cache space: When a hard disk needs to transfer data from one part of the drive to another, it utilizes a special part of embedded memory called the cache or buffer. Modern Hard Disk drive can have cache sizes ranging from 8MB to 256MB.
- Failure rate: Since Hard disk drives are mechanical, wear and tear is expected over time, but not all Hard Disk Drives wear at the same rate. Some disks are prone to fail within 12 months while others have an average life of more than six years. Hard Disk drives are more durable and withstand the shocks easily.
Types of hard drives:
Majorly hard drives have four types:
- Parallel Advanced technology Advancement (PATA)
- Serial Advanced Technology Advancement (SATA)
- Small Computer System Interface(SCSI)
- Solid-state Drives(SSD)
Parallel Advanced technology Advancement (PATA): (Parallel ATA) technology that transferred data from the hard disk over a parallel data channel as the name indicates to the motherboard.
Serial Advanced Technology Advancement (SATA): Serial ATA is a standard for connecting and transferring data from hard disk drives (HDDs) to systems. As its name implies, SATA is based on serial signaling technology of transferring data.
Small Computer System Interface (SCSI): A small computer systems interface (SCSI) is a standard interface for connecting peripheral devices to a system.
Solid state drives SSD: It is a type of mass storage device similar to a hard disk drive (HDD). But SSDs do not have any mobile parts (which is why they are called solid state drives). On the contrary to hard disk drives storing data on magnetic disks, SSDs store data using flash memory.
Maintenance of Hard Disk Drives for Laptops
- Think Twice before Installing or Downloading Software to your system as it may have a huge effect on your hard drive.
- Install Software on your system which is very much necessary for the working avoid the crowding of software.
- Update the Operating System after a regular interval of time as it may be necessary for the efficient working of your hard drive
- Remove Unwanted Programs to avoid the extra burden on your hard disk drive.
- Defragment the Hard Drive as it may make to work more your hard disk.
- Clean in and around the system as the dust and other particulate materials may disturb the hard drive to work properly.
- Maintain security of your device by applying different firewall applications to make the working of hard disk smooth.
How Much Storage Do I Need On My Laptop? Answer by What Laptops Professionals
Selection of hard drives for laptops:
In laptops, the hard drive is not kept rotating all the time, so as to save power and prolong battery life. When a program needs data from the hard drive, it has to wait until the hard drive move up, which causes a delay.
When a program wants to get data from an SSD, it doesn’t have to wait in fact data is available at once. The demerit is and is an important one, the cost. SSD storage is expensive much more than HDD storage and the ratio used to be much higher. That’s why the switching to SDD has already taken more than two decades.
You can buy a laptop with a 128GB or 256GB SSD instead of a 1TB or 2TB hard drive, this varies from buyer to buyer. A 1TB hard drive saves eight times as much as a 128GB SSD, and four times as much as a 256GB SSD. The central question is how much you really need.
Hard disk drives are much more durable as compared to the SSD drives, however, there is always a personal preference.
For me, the 256GB SSD is enough and good hardware drives for my son but can choose from the variety of the hard disk drives available. For me, it is the best thing to plan out your data storage and use your system accordingly. But before using any sort of hard disk drive you have to maintain your system and laptop if you take care of your gadgets it will automatically be secured then the lifespan of your device also increases.
Try to get on the fancy sort of things be focused on the need and utility of your system if the Hard Disk drive of old version is good for your use to go for it rather than the new expensive one as my son is good at maintaining the gadgets and I want things to be quick for him. I have selected the SSD for him and I am sure he will be overwhelmed by getting it. It will not only provide him with the necessary storage but the quick way of reaching to his data. He will have to save himself from the pain of wait.
Hope you find my article reader-friendly and helpful and it is somehow fulfilling the need of reader in the selection of perfect hard disk drive for their laptop as it carries all the required information on hard disk drives and these also helped me.
Best of Luck.
Team- What Laptops
- Best Laptop for Webcam Streaming 2019
- Why is My Laptop Getting Hot?
- Best Gaming Laptop Under 500 Dollars Reviews 2019.
- How to Clean Laptop Touch Screen?
- How to fix a cracked laptop screen without replacing it?
- What Laptops Last the Longest?
- How to Remove Laptop Stickers Without damaging Them?
- How to Clean Laptop Keyboard Without Removing Keys?
- What is The Best Operating System For a Laptop?
- Uses of Laptop in Our Daily Life
- Laptop vs Desktop Pros and Cons
- How Much RAM Do I Need for Gaming
- How to Decorate Your Laptop?
- Razer Blade Stealth 2019 Review
- How to Fix a Broken Key On Your Laptop?
- Can You Take Laptops on Planes?
- What Size Laptop for College?
- How to Install Software on a Laptop Without CD Drive?